Saturday 8 March 2008

Trip to Berlin, March 3rd-7th

We stayed in Mitte, very close to Alexandra Place, near Rosa Luxemborg station. During the three days, we went to a ridiculous number of museums and art galleries, averaging around four or five. I have a pile of phamplets, exhibition magazines, sheets of info etc. James has brought a folder for all the collected memorabilia but to be honest mine will probably be left to gather dust on my book shelf, so I thought it was best to write a few reviews of my favourite pieces/ exhibitions, so some evidence will exist!

We went to the 'Alte Nationalgalerie' (the National Gallery). It was astonishingly similar to our National Gallery in the decor and layout. I enjoyed the French Impressionists work on Level 2 and the Realism on Level 1. I was also impressed with the Neo-Baroque sculpture and the Auguste Rodin sculpture 'The Age of Bronze', 1875-76. Apart from that, I can not recall anything else worthy of note but I am sure hundreds would disagree!

We also visited the Institute for Contemporary Art, which was exhibiting '...5 Minutes Later', curated by Susanne Pfeffer. The work is this exhibition varied considerably in my opinion. In the large entrance area, the furthest wall simply read; 'VISITORS CAN CONTEMPLATE FOR 5 MINUTES THE INVISIBLE ASPECTS OF THE VISUAL ART IN THE EXHIBITION'. This immediately made me doubtful... It wasn't until I reached the third floor and began watching the video installations that I thought the exhibition had been worth the trek. With particular reference to Lutz Mommartz's video art pieces, 'As if it was from Beckett', 1975, and 'Way to the Neighbour', 1968.

'Way to the Neighbour', Lutz Mommartz, 1968.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaCkR0q_TVE

Various Holiday Snaps:





No comments: