Friday 16 November 2007

Project Idea

After the completion of my installation showing the textile process, I turned back to the initial images I had taken. I began once more playing around with the images, by transferring them onto fabric and aging the material, as well as the photograph. However, after my tutorial with Richard Bell, I realised that though I was producing work, I had become a little stuck in a rut and that my enthusiasm for the work/ concept had faded a little. I spoke to Simon about this, as I had a tutorial with him two days ago, he suggested that if I enjoyed working with just the materiality of the industrial machines and the delicacy of the textiles, then why don't I just begin to focus on that for the time being... Very good suggestion!

I have put the research photos up once again around my studio space, so I can look for aesthetic forms that I would like to work with. I plan to start a Henry Moore way of sketching and morph the chosen forms together into some sort of minimalist sculpture...

For further inspiration and ideas, I have been reading a variety of art books, around the issues of craft, fabric art and soft sculpture, as I am looking to create a hard edged, perhaps fibreglass form, which I can then compose wool or cloth or thread around/ in/ through, as I loved how the flax-linen passed through the power loom system in Armley, or the how the bulkiness of the sheep's wool was converted to thin threads through the loom and weave machines.

No comments: